Saturday, July 21, 2012

Paper #1 “Consumer Insights and Where They are Driving Processed Meats in the Future"


I have been informed that my papers I wrote for a summer course from RMC this year have been granted approval for my blog. I'm posting the four papers I wrote for the course here, on my blog, for others to know what I learned at RMC this year. I enjoyed going to RMC this year, more than I did last year, and I hope that once again, in the future, I will be able to attend the annual meeting. I learned a lot this year, and what I learned stuck with me better than last year. I was challenged this year because I had to write these papers. It allowed me to think more in depth during the speeches that I sat through, as well as allowed me to open my mind to other peoples ideas. I took a lot away from this years RMC and look forward to applying my new knowledge of meat science in my future career, hopefully within the pork industry. I hope you all enjoy my papers, and IF you have any questions feel free to ask! 

“Consumer Insights and Where They are Driving Processed Meats in the Future"
 Janet Riley, AMI, spoke during her session about consumers and how they influence the meat industry. As one of my favorite speakers, I absolutely had to go listen to her. She makes the session humorous as well as educational.
                Mrs. Riley explained how consumer attitudes and behavior need to be considered. We don’t want to use “big sciency” words towards them, as Mrs. Riley put it. Consumers flee at the sight of science. They trust word of mouth advertising more than they trust scientist and company advertising. She also explained to us how consumers tie emotions to food. Food is part of a person’s culture, which doesn’t change easily, and consumers tie food with memories from the past.
                Over the past, consumers have become overwhelmed, anxious, and have gained a lack of trust in institutions, but listen to journalists. It’s all in the “what they know, what they hear, and what they read”. There is a ping-pong effect that comes from this. Scientists and institutions are declaring that their products are safe, healthy, and cheap, while journalists are saying the opposite. There is confusion as consumers are being jerked around in what they are hearing.   Mrs. Riley explained, more consumers would rather do their taxes than figure out what was healthy to eat according to a survey that was done.
                Along with this, there is a lack in abilities for, and knowledge of, cooking. Home economics classes are decreasing around the US and convenience and cost are starting to drive the market. People want simple and “natural” products. One of Janet’s main questions was; Does the next generation know how to cook? Simplicity and authenticity has become an interest because it’s more convenient for busy lifestyles and the confused consumer.
                Consumers expect convenient, affordable, tasty, simple, healthy, and fresh products with transparent labels. She also encouraged us to emphasize natural cure, fewer ingredients, and traditional products. When you can’t simplify a label, explain why. The customer doesn’t understand what we’re doing, none the less, why.

                It was very interesting to hear about how consumers view our 


industry and how they feel towards our products and advertising. The 


consumers drive the future of processed meats, so maybe we should listen to 


them and their concerns? Without consumer satisfaction, there would be no 


meat industry, without a meat industry, there would be no customers. We 


need to satisfy our customers to insure a future. Customers drive the 


processed meats future.

No comments:

Post a Comment