Thursday, November 14, 2013

27 Weeks 2 Days... Current Events

Tuesday evening I started feeling as if I was catching the flu bug. I had a little bit of cramping in my upper stomach, and was assuming that it was the flu since it has been going around.

Wednesday morning I wasn't feeling the greatest, but went to work anyways. I know. I know. I have been told 100 times to take it easy... I did take it easy. I didn't do anything I shouldn't at work. I didn't over step my boundaries... I just didn't feel right... At 7:30 I went back home and took a 3 hour nap. I felt a lot better and, of course, went back to work at 12:30 for a few hours. I was feeling some pressure, but I thought that was just some of the braxton-hicks contractions that I have been told so much about and informed to keep track of. I got off work around 3:30 and started having those bad cramps again. After taking a fairly large bowel movement, I didn't feel any better. I called my normal physician in Sioux Falls, and his nurse advised me to go in for a stress test just to make sure everything was alright.

4:45 last night Brad and I walked into the ER in the Orange City Hospital. We started a stress test monitor around 5:30, and everything was showing no signs of stress on the baby, and there was no signs of the "braxton-hicks" contractions present on the monitor. This confused the Dr. that was on call a lot, so they decided to take more tests. At this point they were considering running me to Sioux Falls by ambulance just to be safe in case I was going to deliver. The Dr. here in OC called the perinatologist in SF, and they recommended keeping me over night for monitoring since I wasn't contracting and the baby was looking fine.

They took a urine sample, which showed a high level of white blood cells. This led the Dr. to believe I had a UTI. He made it sound really simple... We were going to start some antibiotics, they would monitor me for a few hours, and I would be on my way.... BUT... then they decide to do a swab test. This was when my Fibernectin protein showed up to be positive.

Fetal Fibernectin Test:     
Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus. Fetal fibronectin is often present in vaginal discharge before week 22 of pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also begins to break down and can be detected in vaginal discharge toward the end of pregnancy. If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she might test a swab of secretions near your cervix for the presence of fetal fibronectin between week 22 and week 34 of pregnancy. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor.
They gave me a steroid called "Betamethazone". I received one last night at 9pm and will receive another one yet this evening before I go home. This is supposed to help the baby's lungs develop quicker, and help the baby be able to breathe easier after birth as a pre-mature baby. 
Betamethasone causes an immature fetus's lungs to produce a compound called surfactant. A full-term baby's lungs naturally produce surfactant, which lubricates the lining of the air sacs within the lungs. This allows the inner surfaces of the air sacs to slide against one another without sticking during breathing. Premature infants whose lungs have begun producing surfactant are more able to breathe on their own, or with less respiratory treatment, after birth.

9:00 last night the Dr. came in to check my cervix, which was still "closed" which is a good sign. That means my body is telling them that it is not ready to deliver yet... key word... yet. He was supposed to come back at midnight last night, but never showed up, and I haven't heard a word from him since. For the time being, I am sitting at the OC hospital. We are having an ultrasound done here in a few minutes to measure the length of my cervix and the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby to make sure everything is still alright. The Dr. will be here to review the ultrasound around 11:30. I am currently on an IV drip just to keep fluids inside of me. Really don't have any other news as of now. Will know more after I actually see the doctor today. 

1 comment: