Saturday, May 26, 2012

Internship Day 3

Today was a whole different day in the hog barns.

I once again assisted with weaning pigs, giving them their shots, walking them to the nursery, and then loading them on the truck to be shipped to the wean-finish facility. I then was introduced into the world of breeding sows and gilts.

I just took an AI course for cattle a few weeks ago right after school got out. I was able to learn the structures and everything of a cow to be able to artificially inseminate. Yesterday I was introduced to sow breeding which is completely different than breeding cattle. I was shown how to breed a sow, and then was completely confused as to why they needed to stimulate the sows, and then I saw the semen being sucked out of the baggie by the sows "orgasm". HAha. I learned how to place my knees into the side of the sows belly to stimulate her through rubbing back and forth. I also had to apply pressure to her back to act like a boar was on top. I then learned how to inserte the AI rod, open the semen bag, and wait for the sow to absorb the semen.

I also learned how to process piglets in the large picture, not just a single litter. Between 4 guys they did an entire room (72 litters) in under a half hour. They were literally flying when they were giving the piglets their shots and removing them from the crate. I was able to watch as they castrated the boars, cut their tails, and put iodine on any open skin. I also learned how to load a semi with baby piglets by watching them as they "pushed" the babies onto the truck. It was very interesting to see the babies realize the outside world for the first time through the truck.

Yesterday we also talked about the projects that we will be working on for our internship. I will be researching two different toppics. One is based on the amount of feed intake for sows while they are in the farrowing unit and compare that to the average wean weight of the piglets. I will also be measuring the effectiveness of drying newborn piglets at birth and how that effects the survival rate of the piglets compared to the piglets that were not assisted after birth.

Overall I have had a blast at the hog facility. I have come to the understanding that I am allergic to hog dust though and have to start wearing a respirator to decrease the amount of dust I am inhaling. I have been coughing a lot the last few days, have a sore throught, and have some pain in my right lung. Hopefully I will be making it to the dr. some time soon to possibly get an inhaler, as well as a prescription or something for a special mask for me to wear in the facility.

Last night we celebrated my little sisters 8th grade graduation. I will post pictures sometime within the next few days. Congrat's Sara Beth, and may high school be as exciting for you as it is for me!

<3 Roz

No comments:

Post a Comment