Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 16: My Cooking 101

After a much needed weekend off of work, school, and repeating life activities, I am back and ready to go again. I hope you all had a good weekend!

now.....


Cooking.... oh boy.

I will be the first to admit that my cooking 101 consists of very little. My specialties are Mac n Cheese, Frozen Pizza, TV Dinners, Ready to Eat meals, and Boxed meals. Every once in a while I will throw in a home cooked meal of chicken and potatoes, steaks and veggies, spaghetti, or roast... but thats not very often. The ongoing joke in my family is that I "just learned how to boil water"... My dad thinks my cooking, or lack there of, is hilarious.

I'm 20 years old and I am a busy being. I don't have time like a stay at home mom does to cook a meal that takes 2 hours to prep. I get off work @ 5, get home around 5:30, and slap something together for Brad and I by 6:30. I don't like meals that take hours to prep, I'd rather just throw it all together and be done with it.

This weekend was a change though. I marinated chicken in Caribbean Jerk. We let it sit for 48 hours straight and then grilled the chicken on the grill, in  the marinade on a sheet of tin foil. MmmmHmmm. We took potatoes and diced them up in to cubes where we put them in a pan, slapped a slab of butter on them, smothered them with pepper, steak seasoning, and Lawry's, and stuck em' in the oven for 1 hour. Supper turned out AMAZING last night. Everyone really liked the food. I was glad to have some help in the kitchen from fellow friends to teach me a new meal! :) Brad and I plan on enjoying this more often now. Its simple, its quick, and its delicious. (Now only if I can talk my husband into being home more often!)...

Hopefully as I age, I will learn more about cooking. Every meal is an experiment for me and I love changing things up. Brad and I don't usually see eye to eye as far as how different foods should be prepared... but I'll keep my mind open, and I'm more than open for suggestions.

<3 Roz

No comments:

Post a Comment