Saturday, February 16, 2013

Waterworks...

It's official.

I was never meant to become a plumber.

Wednesday morning I made the trek back to good ol' Ames.... Just to find out that a few of our water pipes FROZE and BURST....

"911, what is your emergency?"

....

Brad of course had to work, and was in grand ol' Anita, so I had to privilege of calling a plumber, who was busy for the day. So, Wednesday afternoon I managed to shut off the main water line, then I had to rip out about 30 square feet of insulation off of the trailer belly to find the leaks. The plumber came first thing Thursday morning to work on the pipes, and he replaced a few elbow's and T's in the plumbing, but then he didn't manage to get everything done so he had to come back yesterday morning to finish it off. A week and a half's worth of Brad's salary later, the plumber packed up his bags and left.

In the mean time, I had to rip out a wall in one of the bathrooms to get to a pipe that was leaking inside of the wall. So now I have a huge gaping hole in one of the bathrooms... Eeek. Brad wasn't very impressed with that, but I guess that's what happens when you leave a woman to do a mans job??

Brad's aunt, Amy, came to Ames Wed, Thurs, and Fri all day to help me get the house clean and picked up and to be with me while the plumber was around, working on the place. The past two and a half years we have lived here I have plaid painter, carpenter, electrician, exterminator, and now plumber. I have many new life skills thanks to this place!

On the bright side, it turns out we actually have a person interested in looking at the place. One of my classmates at ISU is graduating in May and got accepted into Vet School here in town so she is looking for a trailer to buy. She contacted me Tuesday (before I knew about the water leak), and we had made arrangements for her to see the house this weekend.

Ends up it wasn't the greatest timing, but I guess they will just have to understand that the house is "currently under repair." Brad and I will be replacing the belly liner of the trailer this coming week also, since we had to pull a majority of the insulation out of under there in order to get to the water pipes. I feel like I have dumped more money into this trailer in the past week than we have the entire time we have lived here! Good thing we are selling the place and will at least get our money back!

On the bright side, we are soon getting rid of the place! Even if we don't get as much as we hope to, I am excited to be nearing the end of the road. This house was our first purchase as a newly married couple, it was our first home, and it has been a pain in our buts at random times, but it's been our home. I will be sad to see it go, but I am excited to get rid of it at the same time. Like any house, there has been a lot of repairs and management stuff that we have had to do, hopefully the next tenants don't have to deal with the same stuff we have! Hopefully by now the place is good to go for another few years! :) We will see!

Wish us luck on the selling process! :)

Roz

No comments:

Post a Comment